Monday 17 July 2017

French Line Artillery Limbers - 28mm Perry

More work on limbers. Following my first efforts with Austrian Limbers, here's some French line limbers done. Very happy to have these finished!




These are Perry Miniatures again. I'm normally full of praise for Perry, but I do have a couple of minor criticisms of these limbers. First, unlike with the newer Austrian limbers, they don't supply the front cross bar assembly, which means you have to scratchbuild one if you want to hook up the traces! I made mine out of cardboard. It's a bit simplifed compared to the reality but it does the job.

If you want to see an expertly done scratchbuild of this crossbar with chain and so on, see this beautiful example by Sadaharu Ichikawa from Japan. He also made his ropes from twisted copper wire, but I had trouble getting this to work and ended up using Gale Force Nine braided rope. There should also be some extra chain hooking the rear horses to the limber pole as I understand it, but this itsn't as noticeable so I left it off for now. (EDIT: And see this TMP discussion thread for more discussion on how these were hooked up). As I said in my previous post, I'll do a tutorial post on limber assembly in a short while.

Secondly, these French Limbers are not available without guns (unlike limbers in the Austrian range), so you end up with spare artillery pieces you might not want. They do sell spare artillery crew so you can crew them up that way I suppose, but it is still a bit annoying. You could also ask for them to be supplied without guns, but it will depend on how their molds are set up I guess.

But other than those two grumbles, they are still very nice models of course. :)


For the distinctive steel grey of the uniforms I used Vallejo Sombre Grey followed by Vallejo Azure Blue. Facings are Vallejo Dark Blue.


More recently Perry also released this extra pack of French train, designed to hook up to most wagons that they make. I painted up a pack of these while I was doing the limbers. Interestingly, the base for these models is the Austrian limber team models and you can see the similarity if you look closely.




Warbases make some nice and cheap MDF Napoleonic wagons that would go well with these too.


 Ok next up will be a couple of French Guard Limbers!

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! You are a glutton for punishment with all of the limbers coming out from your workbench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, yes seems a bit that way!

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of work but they certainly turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great result! Mark you're acting like a machine gun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Chasseur, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice indeed Mark and great to see you adding so much of the battlefield paraphernalia to your wonderful collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo, yes it adds something worthwhile I think!

      Delete
  6. Really nice job on these, Mark; I think maybe even a buit better than the Austrian set. You seem to have gotten the "Steel Grey" color of the jackets, etc. spot on as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter yes I think these are better!

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking limbers, the grey of the drivers has come out really well, lovely job all round.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work Mark. I am starting to look even closer at those Russian limbers now! BTW an easy way to make ropes is to take a length of wire and fold it in half. Put the two loose ends in the chuck of a battery drill, then holding the other end in a pair of pliers, pull the drill trigger and let the wire wind up. In a matter of a second or two you have a perfectly wound piece of rope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mark and yes I should probably give that a go at some point, but need to get a new power drill as my old one has stopped working.

      Delete
  9. Good work there.

    I can certainly recommend the Warbases range of MDF carts etc.

    http://jim-duncan.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/cart-blanche-or-in-this-case-cart-vert.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Jim, I didn't realise they made all those excellent draft horses too! I feel an order coming on. :)

      Delete
  10. Great work, very inspiring !

    ReplyDelete